Thứ Sáu, 7 tháng 10, 2016

I have been (NBN) FTTN hijacked!!! part 1

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:32 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    HAHAHA! I have been hijacked by IINET!
    Got to my home (business) today, no internet, no land line, checked my ADSL modem-router status for a reboot, lo and behold: connected at 70Mb instead of the usual 16!! It tuned out that some muppet technician switched me to NBN (FTTN, my modem is VDSL capable). After some fiddling I got my connection working but when I looked up the allocated IP it turns out is an IINET IP!!! So I am posting this message from my #TelstraBusiness > IINET connection.

    And, of course, Telstra faults insists that that is not possible.

    In the land of Oz....

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:32 pm
    Mr Fraudband

    Cristtos writes...

    Telstra faults

    They would be going on advice from Telstra Wholesale whom would say their cable records are so thorough that NBN shouldn't be having problems like this.

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:41 pm
    rosendalek

    and unfortunately you cant be switched back to adsl, best ask telstra business for a port reversal back to a nbn plan

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:41 pm
    CL0SeY

    rosendalek writes...

    and unfortunately you cant be switched back to adsl, best ask telstra business for a port reversal back to a nbn plan

    In this case it's a cabling stuff up � I would expect it would be reverted if requested.

    But then again, why not go with 70mbps instead of ADSL speeds :)

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:50 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    What do you mean I cannot be switched back?!?

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:50 pm
    rosendalek

    Cristtos writes...

    What do you mean I cannot be switched back?!?

    due to ceasesale, you can certainly be switched back to Telstra, but not to adsl, only nbn

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:51 pm
    ?zu??

    rosendalek writes...

    due to ceasesale, you can certainly be switched back to Telstra, but not to adsl, only nbn

    This only applies to new connections, not faults.

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:51 pm
    little steve

    rosendalek writes...

    due to ceasesale, you can certainly be switched back to Telstra, but not to adsl

    Thats only in the case where that line has been disconnected at the exchange end, its not this case. The O.P has not requested a transfer, and neither has their line been deallocated from the exchange to the pillar. Its an incorrect line jumpering and just needs a reversal, not a new connection.

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:52 pm
    rosendalek

    ahhh I see, I had assumed ceasesale applied in this situation as well. I guess its going to come down to whether telstra business and nbnco can be bothered correcting it

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:52 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    Thanks to all that commented on this...
    I could not have imagined myself in this situation.

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:54 pm
    BFJ

    The same thing happened to me a couple of months back. I came home from work only to find my ADSL modem wouldn't sync. It turned out someone else's connection had been jumpered onto my line. Telstra sent an NBN technician to investigate and the incorrect jumpering was undone.

    The funny thing is, when it actually came to be my turn to get connected a month later, it didn't work because of a core network shortfall, so I could get someone else's connection but couldn't get my own!

  • 2016-Jun-8, 9:54 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    The sad thing is that my upload speed is still so low that it makes the move to NBN pointless...
    I synch at 70/32 and various speed tests came back with 65/2
    On my old ADSL2+ I was consistently getting 16/1.5
    16 was quite enough for me for DL but I wanted more UL speed
    It took me 8 months to copy my picture collection in the cloud :(

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:17 pm
    Fast is good

    BFJ writes...

    The funny thing is, when it actually came to be my turn to get connected a month later, it didn't work because of a core network shortfall, so I could get someone else's connection but couldn't get my own!

    These sort of issues are caused by useless cable records. Ever since maintenance was outsourced the tech will fix the fault but not change the records (takes additional time, no one will know if it isn't done and he can get on to the next job quicker)... so there are errors everywhere.

    They then cut into the cable to insert a new pillar (to connect to the node) and join the wires back up a again.... wires are in pairs with what is called a colour and mate (distinct colours which uniquely identify that pair and the wires in the pair are also twisted together). So each pair is connected to it's unique location within the pillar.

    However sometimes in the past when a tech was repairing a line fault he discovered once side of the pair is faulty � he should then swap to another pair but there aren't always enough � so to get it working he used one wire from the first pair (say the colour) and a wire from a second pair (which becomes the mate) � that's called a "split pair" and causes all sorts of issues with data signal loss. I have one such split pair in my run to the exchange before the pillar. When the installers cut the cable to insert the node pillar.... it is assumed that the colours and their mates are always in their correct pairs.....

    Now you request NBN.... they find (from the faulty cable records) the colour and mate belonging to your address (1 Something Street, Somewhere) and jumper that pair to the node. What they have actually done is only jumper half of your line and half of someone else's.... or maybe a faulty second wire. They could also kill someone else's service because they were using a wire from what should have been your service..... It is a diabolical mess!!!!

    That's one of the big issues with FTTN. Not only does it use the old and decrepit copper with all it's dodgy joints etc but the installers have to try and sort out totally incorrect cable records in many cases and a fair smattering of undocumented split pairs � if it works initially you are very, very lucky.

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:17 pm
    very_itchy

    Cristtos writes...

    I could not have imagined myself in this situation.

    You have to feel sorry for the poor bugger in your street that doesn't have his/her phone/ADSL and is waiting on iiNet to fix the problem so they can get fixed line internet service back!
    At least you have an internet connection (and you can temporarily abuse the data quota of some iiNet customer).

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:25 pm
    HEKTIK

    The message is going to be clear on election day. I'm going for the party that will deliver me fttp. My area is still not build yet and could get lucky!

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:25 pm
    Brian White

    HEKTIK writes...

    The message is going to be clear on election day. I'm going for the party that will deliver me fttp. My area is still not build yet and could get lucky!

    Is it, people were stupid enough to vote for LNP in the first place, Budgie Smuggler and Mr "Practically Invented the Internet" Turnbull.

    Imagine if Turnbull actually had his way, and cancelled the build of Sky Muster and regional users ended up with his plan to keep using the Interim services (One of which is now decommissioned).

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:29 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    So I got a call from Telstra Faults just now and when I explained I am on NBN, I can access internet via an IINET, connection I was told "I have checked the wiring and that is not possible � who told you that you are on NBN?"
    I have been taking this in good spirit so far but now it goes beyond a joke...

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:29 pm
    Gage

    Cristtos writes...

    So I got a call from Telstra Faults just now and when I explained I am on NBN, I can access internet via an IINET, connection I was told "I have checked the wiring and that is not possible � who told you that you are on NBN?"
    I have been taking this in good spirit so far but now it goes beyond a joke...

    don't tell telstra that
    just say your service does not work.
    then they will log a fault with NBN, seeing NBN own all the cables now

    some poor iinet customer also does not have a working service they would be doing the same thing

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:30 pm
    Phg

    Gage writes...

    some poor iinet customer also does not have a working service they would be doing the same thing

    Quick. Someone build an app/web based service called something like "NBN crossed wires"

    Where you can log your details to try and find your perfect match for the other line yours got mixed up with during the NBN change. Where you can alert the other poor bastard, NBN Co and RSP(s) to the problem at the touch of a button/mouse/screen.

  • 2016-Jun-8, 10:30 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    Tried that and they asked me to be home for a technician...
    Got broken without me home, they should be able to fix it without me at home.
    I am trying to run a business that is already hindered by this mix-up...

  • 2016-Jun-10, 1:57 pm
    Jacco

    Cristtos writes...

    Is NBN Co under the jurisdiction of the Telecommunications ombudsman?

    ACMA seems to think so.

    http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Consumer-info/My-connected-home/The-NBN-and-you/consumer-useful-links-and-contacts

  • 2016-Jun-10, 1:57 pm
    little steve

    Jacco writes...

    ACMA seems to think so.

    It does not say that. It says if you have a complaint about the NBN service through your retail or internet service provider that you can call the TIO. NBN Co as a wholesaler however cannot have consumer complains made against them as you are not a customer of theirs.

    Cristtos writes...

    What are my avenues for a formal complain?

    Your formal avenue is to follow Telstra's escalation process, which is available here, if you are not satisfied with Telstra's handling of the complaint, then the issue can and should be raised with the TIO. Be warned with the TIO, while they are a good tool to use if you have had no luck so far, a complaint to them prematurely can slow down the resolution of any complaint as it has to follow the TIO process which involves assigning it to a specific TIO complaints manager and dealing directly with a TIO rep. The TIO is a step of last resort, not first resort.

    Jacco writes...

    Other than to your ISP to attempt to complain to NBN, you can try NBN Co directly.

    This situation is different to an NBN Co complaint. NBN Co have taken possession of the wrong line from Telstra, probably due to an incorrect line record of Telstra's. Telstra are probably in a better situation with cable records and the like to liaise with NBN Co than the O.P or the TIO.

    Cristtos writes...

    The fix-it job was assigned to the 7-11 AM slot; at 11:30 still no sign of the technician.
    After a number of phone calls, by 12:30 PM I was told that no technician was assigned to the job and the job was reassigned to the 1-5 PM slot.
    This is outrageous, as my service is also priority medical designated.

    You may find this outrageous, but do you know what happens to people who don't have a priority assistance designator on their line? I've been through situations like this before where a tech stole my line because he just trusted the cable records and didn't even bother to check that there was a dial tone on the line, jumpered out my line at the MDF to another apartment in my complex and was told I'd have to wait 6 days for my initial appointment to get it fixed, at the initial appointment no tech showed within the window and the rescheduled appointment was for 5 days later. You got your reschedule in the same day, sadly that is priority assistance

  • 2016-Jun-10, 2:25 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    It has been fixed.
    Exactly what I suspected, the technician confirmed.
    Some other technician jumpered the wrong port, moving my end to IINET.
    The technician attending was extremely helpful and friendly, very competent, and insured everything is as it was before leaving.
    Telstra should:
    - have some serious talk with other telco players to make sure this kind of unintended hijacking can happen
    - train their staff to NOT BE SO DISMISSIVE when the customer can supply valuable information about the fault
    - train their faults staff to be aware that such accidental hijacking can happen
    - concede that, while technically this fault was a "no dial tone", thinking a bit outside the constrains of their form would have allowed the Telstra Faults staff to sort out this mess; maybe, with the advent of NBN, some other categories of faults apart from "no dial tone" and "internet not working" should be added

    I am curious what kind of offer Telstra would come up with as a compensation for my loss of business and brain cells...

  • 2016-Jun-10, 2:25 pm
    Fast is good

    Cristtos writes...

    maybe, with the advent of NBN, some other categories of faults apart from "no dial tone" and "internet not working" should be added

    ... I'd suggest something like "Telstra sh!t cable records have bitten me in the A � and I no longer have service"

    I can see this happening many, many times. NBNCo and their contractors have no choice other than to believe Telstra's cable records � and so will frequently jumper the wrong pair, half a split pair or even a vacant pair. The records are in such a mess that this will have to be a frequent occurrence going forward.

  • 2016-Jun-10, 3:30 pm
    Mr Fraudband

    Fast is good writes...

    The records are in such a mess that this will have to be a frequent occurrence going forward.

    Do you think NBN has costed this, or will there be more cost blow outs as the network is rolled out?

  • 2016-Jun-10, 3:30 pm
    little steve

    Mr Fraudband writes...

    Do you think NBN has costed this,

    I do, I have long thought it is a contributing factor (not major but in there) to the CPP going up $1000

    or will there be more cost blow outs as the network is rolled out?

    Hard to say. Depends how much management are covering up to save their asses ;)

  • 2016-Jun-10, 3:50 pm
    CBD3000

    Not really applicable to this thread � but somebody brought up pink batts. I understand that deaths per 100,000 installs were higher before the Labour disorganised scheme. Maybe someone knows more facts.

  • 2016-Jun-10, 3:50 pm
    The Ziggster

    We've also seen at least one example of this happening with FTTP with a fibre connection stolen thanks to bad records...
    Mistakes happen with any system with human intervention. As on older network, likely to be many more bad records on the copper

  • KernelPanic

    The Ziggster writes...

    Mistakes happen with any system with human intervention. As on older network, likely to be many more bad records on the copper

    The bad records has been a huge problem on the copper network for at least the last ten years.

    any problems on the FTTP network is purely NBN's own fault, and they should be held accountable (just like their extremely poor way of handing out techs.)

  • Torgeir

    Which model Fritz modem is this with?

  • 2016-Jun-11, 7:38 pm
    Freman

    Cristtos writes...

    - train their staff to NOT BE SO DISMISSIVE when the customer can supply valuable information about the fault

    This is one of the reasons that after all this time I'm still with Internode, I can do all the usual checks, ring them up, tell them what I've done and what I suspect (eg: "nbn went rfs on friday, I have no internet on monday, someone jumpered something wrong") and they listen, don't care if they write it down or it makes a difference to the process, but they aren't dismissive about any input I've ever given them.

    We've (me/neighbor) actually gone so far as to have the last tech that visited place a laminated sheet of paper with details of the connections in the pit because techs keep screwing us out of our connections.

  • 2016-Jun-11, 7:38 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    Fritz!Box 7490

  • 2016-Jun-11, 7:44 pm
    Cristtos
    O.P.

    Further to my speed comments I should also mention that I remembered having a throttle tool installed on my workstation, limiting the UL to 2 Mbs.
    Upon re-testing at speedtest.com the true speed of the upload was in fact 35 Mbps

    So the IINET NBN connection speed was 65/35

    Sorry about the mix-up.

  • 2016-Jun-11, 7:44 pm
    Mud Guts

    U T C writes...

    Malcolm said those issues wouldn't happen..

    Ahhahahahaahahaahhaha. Ahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaaa.

    I'm sorry, but, Ahahahhaahahhahaahaa

  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét