Thứ Sáu, 7 tháng 10, 2016

The NBN drama part 1

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:22 pm
    micklitted
    O.P.

    Hi All,

    I just want to vent my anger and frustration with the whole NBN process. And of course seek your recommendations.

    My story so far.

    1. Place order with AusBBS in the middle of December 2013.
    I waited for some kind of email to tell me what the next step would be... or maybe even a phone call... Nothing. After a few days I called the AusBBS call centre. They were closed for "the holiday season". So I email customer care. They respond and outline the process going forward (wait for email with appointment date, nbn contractors will come and install hardware, 2-3 day later connection will be ready to use. So I'm thinking sweet, this is an easy process.

    2. I receive an email stating that the installation (new house) appointment will be on the 30-12-13 and that someone would need to be home. So I organise to take a day off work. The NBN installer does not arrive. There was no phone call or email to inform me that they would be missing the appointment and no follow up after the day of install. Again I contact AusBBS and they say it was out of their control as they rely on NBN contractors to install the equipment. No worries, these thing happen...

    3. New date 14-1-14 booked. Again take the day off work. 1pm rocks around and I get a phone call from some third party company saying that the installer will not be coming, that there are no installer in my area, that any appointment date in the near future will be missed and that everyone else with missed appointments will be before me (fair enough). I reply by asking why they provide dates that the can not realistically met and the guys informs me that the dates are generated by a computer system and everyone knows the appointments will never be made. Once more I am chasing this up with AusBBS via email. Same story as last time. AusBBS blame the NBNco. So I call the NBNco and they basically tell me to bugger off and speak to my Telco. I then lodged a formal complaint with the NBNco. A week later I get a call saying "we are experiencing technical difficulties in your area and we were unable to make your appointments". I ask for clarification in regards to what the technical difficulties were. The lady just kept repeating the words "technical difficulties" over and over again. Cutting me off whilst I was speaking. I asked her what would happen with my complaint... nothing.

    So I have lodged a complaint with the TIO and still no joy. No calls from the nbnco or the installers. All AusBBS are able to do is send me a new appointment date.

    My next date is 11-2-14. I have little faith that the install will arrive. No one really seems to care. For a national solution to broadband the NBNco can't even provide basic customer care, e.g. telephone calls.

    I have several work mates that have had more than 8 appointments missed by the installation teams. The longest waiting time so far is 7 months. I appreciate that I live in Newman, W.A (quiet remote), however why offer the service if you cannot deliver it? My new house is in a NBN only estate and I have no other choice. Right now I am using prepaid internet which is costing me a small fortune.

    Does anyone have any recommendations about how I could get this issue escalated through NBNco or my service provider?

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:22 pm
    Gage

    micklitted writes...

    Place order with AusBBS

    I stop reading after that
    seeing that was your first mistake

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:27 pm
    PerfectTemplar

    Best bet for the NBN is probably going to be Telstra or Optus.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:27 pm
    micklitted
    O.P.

    My mate went with Telstra... he is still waiting after 7 months!

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:30 pm
    Zerophitus

    Welcome to the world of doing business with some of our larger Au businesses. As has been posted in the past, the NBNCo is now the new Telstra. The best thing is just hang in knowing that you will eventually be connected.

    Empathise with your situation. Yes, you could try another provider, but the new provider will more than likely have exactly the same problem, i.e. the ongoing history of the NBNCo still not properly managing their contractors.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:30 pm
    encryptor

    PerfectTemplar writes...

    Best bet for the NBN is probably going to be Telstra or Optus.

    What do you mean? If you mean as RSPs, then no � Telstra have some of the very worst value plans last I checked, and fairly poor customer service.

    If your mean they should use them to build the NBN, you'd be wrong too. Telstra made most of their good build/maintenance techs redundant over the last few decades, and now just use some of the same contractors (like ServiceStream) as NBN Co. Telstra also left me without a phone line for over a month and a bit before they'd send a tech after a bit of rain knocked it out for a second time in three years, so they're no better at getting stuff done (probably worse really).

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:38 pm
    mrtn

    Gage writes...

    I stop reading after that
    seeing that was your first mistake

    Not sure that is fair, reading between the lines I would say NBN Co's contractors in this area simply haven't got the subbies available to do the install work � despite what NBN Co's appointment calendar might be indicating to the retail provider when they go to book the install in.

    I don't believe it is an isolated problem.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 8:38 pm
    Dall

    PerfectTemplar writes...

    Best bet for the NBN is probably going to be Telstra or Optus.

    Best bet for the NBN is iinet or Internode.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:14 pm
    micklitted
    O.P.

    There are plenty of electricians running around my estate... how hard could it be to connect the fibre from the pit?? Just send me a DIY kit :) I know a NBNco rep is on here and a AusBBS rep. I was hoping they would care to clarify.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:14 pm
    Dvolve

    I don't believe it is an isolated problem.

    Actually that is the problem. Newman is a very isolated town. Regardless of which RSP you choose you won't be getting a contractor out there until they have enough work to cover their travel costs.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:33 pm
    Dall

    Electricians generally arnt skilled with fibre and don't carry the $10K worth of equipment required to fit and test connections.
    Very much doubt NBN are going to happily accept the health and safety risks of
    DIY installs.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:33 pm
    mrtn

    udk writes...

    Actually that is the problem. Newman is a very isolated town.

    Poor choice of words on my behalf perhaps � I meant the issue of 'not enough installers' is one that has been experienced in other parts of the country.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:35 pm
    Dvolve

    martino writes...

    Poor choice of words on my behalf perhaps � I meant the issue of 'not enough installers' is one that has been experienced in other parts of the country.

    Not so much a poor choice of words as me playing with your meaning. There certainly is a lack of installers especially in NT and WA. Both will take over 3 years at last weeks install rates to complete what has been passed so far.

    I don't know how the nbn assign work to their contractors but I can see a boom in the beer economy judging by the number of stories like this one.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:35 pm
    AnonymouslyBad

    udk writes...

    Actually that is the problem. Newman is a very isolated town. Regardless of which RSP you choose you won't be getting a contractor out there until they have enough work to cover their travel costs.

    That's the prime contractor's problem. Presumably there's still a contractor engaged whose contract includes that area. They don't get to cherry pick; the loss from flying subbies into remote centres should be accounted for. Otherwise 90% of WA would never get connected.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:45 pm
    mrtn

    AnonymouslyBad writes...

    That's the prime contractor's problem.

    Technically and contractually that is true, but it ends up being everyone's problem if enough workers simply can't be found to do the work.

    Case in point is Syntheo pulling out of LN/DN construction in NT and scaling right back in SA and WA.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:45 pm
    cherryz

    Dall writes...

    Best bet for the NBN is iinet or Internode.

    Or Skymesh.

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:45 pm
    ags_

    I have only had 1 missed appointment however losing a day�s pay made me very angry. I doubt anyone can do anything as NBNCo have no idea what to do, their contract management team are all incompetent fools and the installers cherry pick the work that makes them a profit. I have 1 contact high up in NBNCo who can't get any sense out of the "TEAM" who are supposed to be on top of all this. My Telstra install will not go ahead and they cannot get any dates for the FW install. It's a total stuff up and as is usual with large bureaucracies nobody is to blame!

  • 2014-Jan-29, 9:45 pm
    rjjs

    micklitted writes...

    There are plenty of electricians running around my estate... how hard could it be to connect the fibre from the pit??

    Well I'm quite sure if the mums and dads contractors were allowed to get in on the action, your connection from the pit would be in like Flynn. Let the big boys stick to getting the main fibre in.

    There should be some co-contribution here like putting on gas or the phone and then your choice of contractor. If nothing else the ISPs would be prepared to hire suitable subbies in order to sign on new clients and just like mobile phone plans, the co-contribution could be amortised over a 2 yr plan if the customer prefers. The alternative is an ever increasing level of frustration and disappointment like the OP is wearing.

  • 2014-Jan-30, 7:02 am
    Tailgator

    rjjs writes...

    Well I'm quite sure if the mums and dads contractors were allowed to get in on the action, your connection from the pit would be in like Flynn. Let the big boys stick to getting the main fibre in.

    Actually the 'mums and dads contractors' were allowed to get in on the action.

    If you were aware of the content of yesterdays hearing you would remember ....

    Mr McVee : I suppose at the first briefing that NBN Co. came across here and gave we were promised that the work would be delivered to one primary contractor, that there would be direct employment, that there would not be the Syntheo model, the mum and dad contractors and the pyramid contracting which stacked up under Syntheo. So as a union if we were going to suggest anything it would be one primary contractor with direct employees so that control then sits with them and does not slow down to mum and dad contractors with obviously, as John said with through his submission, the pressure that goes on them to make costs from the primary contractor down to the mum and dad subby.
    http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;db=COMMITTEES;id=committees%2Fcommsen%2Fd8237c35-e888-4cc0-9a54-c56fb489c721%2F0002;query=Id%3A%22committees%2Fcommsen%2Fd8237c35-e888-4cc0-9a54-c56fb489c721%2F0001%22

    Seems part of the problem was NBNCo didn't ensure there were too many 'middle men' or if it was specified, then companies such as Syntheo didn't bother to adhere to said contractual specification. As noted above, everyone takes their cut and by the time it get's down to the 'mum and dad contractors' they are struggling to make a buck.

    As I posted yesterday, I would really like to know more about the Syntheo deal and why it failed.

  • 2014-Jan-30, 7:02 am
    Zerophitus

    Tailgator writes...

    As I posted yesterday, I would really like to know more about the Syntheo deal and why it failed.
    Unfortunately it's pretty clear, poor project management by the NBNCo due to their failure to monitor their prime contractors, and implement remedial actions as soon as problems became apparent.....back in 2012.

    Also for not having reasonable penalty clauses the the contracts. The indicator for this is that at least in the case of WA, Syntheo have not so far been hit with any penalties for non performance to date. Also the NBNCo are now paying significantly higher rates to keep the roll out ongoing....albeit still very slowly.

  • 2015-Apr-27, 3:36 pm
    Cloister

    0nl1ne writes...

    I think NBN should let a Taxi company manage their booking.

    No. a pizza delivery company. They take orders for a few dollars, and then guarantee they will have it delivered by the time stated, or they give you a discount.

  • Không có nhận xét nào:

    Đăng nhận xét